Latitude 64 Discs - When Quality Matters
Latitude 64 – When Quality Matters
Like the name of the company? Latitude 64 is the actual geographical line the company lies on. In a mountain village lies the city of Skellefteå in Sweden. Fun fact, Fairbanks Alaska lies on Latitude 64. This community has fallen in love with Disc Golf and has flourished in their small town, but growing it to the United States they faced a challenge due to their location. Dynamic Discs partnered with them naming themselves Trilogy (Westside Discs is also included) and they are strategic business partners helping each other’s companies flourish in their respective locations by acting as a distributors for each other. The faces of Latitude 64 are Tomas Ekström, Svante Eriksson, David Berglund and Johan Åström.
Winter Marksman League – Putting Performance
While Latitude 64 is a company that provides their own line of discs along with producing Westside and Dynamic Discs they try to help the Disc Golf community as well. They introduced a warmer way to play Disc Golf in the winter by introducing league play. They are a 16 week league that allows the tournament director leeway with rules.
It’s simple, putting is a major part of Disc Golf weather people like it or not. In the league, minimum of 3 standard baskets and 2 marksman baskets are utilized. Many clubs have an abundance of baskets and provide a longer type course. The director of the league each week will place the baskets and start location throwing the discs at different locations. The objective is simple, make each putt in one stroke. Latitude 64 has gotten results back and on average from the first week an average of 32 putts were made. By the 6th week the average increased by 37!
Results obviously differs by basket placements and hopefully the skills you are practicing make you a better Disc Golfer. This is what Latitude 64 is striving for and each league provides the winner with a free Marksman Basket. Each TD is provided with a player pack of 5 Retro/Prime/Origio and Zero/Classic/BT putters in various molds. You are not required to use them, but are encouraged to as they provide these at a discounted rate for the league.
Top 3 Latitude 64 Discs
I’m not sure what it is, but the Trilogy discs, Latitude 64, Westside and Dynamic Discs just make the best putters in the game. I don’t believe they hold any patents giving them an advantage such as Innova had until October 27th 2003. (‘297 patent) After 2003, this is why you saw a boom of Disc Golf Manufactures join the game.
Interesting this disc is! The Sinus has 3 grip areas on the top with different textures compared to the original disc. This gives the ability to have even more grip than you can ever imagine. We assume it slightly affects the flight path and doesn’t provide the best glide if they were not there, but everything in life is a trade-off and this one is good.
This was one of the original 3 discs Latitude 64 made back in 2005. (Driver – Primitus and Medius) It has a slow speed of 2 and like previously stated, a poor performance of glide as they ranked it as low as they could at a 1. When you’re putting though, do you really want your missed putt to glide farther away from the basket?! It has a straight flight with a 0 turn and then tapers off hard due to the low glide numbers with a 3 turn.
Preferred plastic: Zero Hard
Whenever we do rankings for Putters, it’s always hard as everyone groups them into a Putt and Approach disc. Well at #2 on the list this disc is more of an approach shot, but classified as a putter. The name is perfect as the disc doesn’t push either way hard. If you want it to go right, throw it right, if you want it to go straight, throw it straight and if you want it to go left, throw it left! It’s as simple as that; not like a disc such as Stiletto where you know it will taper off at end of flight. The Pure provides the Disc Golfer where you want it to fly.
In any plastic the Pure provides a comfortable grip that was co-designed with Jesper Lundmark. The disc has a medium sized rim giving it the ability to sink putts well or give the perfect approach shot to the basket. With a speed and glide of 3 this disc can do it all.
Preferred plastic: Zero Medium
This our favorite Latitude 64 disc by far! The high glide gives it the ability to be a great approach shot every time along with a low speed putter. It’s compared to a big bead Aviar, Wizard and Challenger, but with additional glide. An obstruction in-front of you not higher than 6 ft? The Dagger is perfect for floating over.
No matter the skill level, this disc will provide accurate throws consistently. It’s the best trait to have in a disk as you never know what’s going to happen on the Disc Golf Course. With a straight flight of 0 turn it offers a straight shot every time with a very slight fade at end of flight rating at 2. You literally cannot go wrong throwing the Dagger.
Preferred plastic: Zero Soft
An honorable mention is in end of 2017 conjunction with Dynamic Discs, Latitude 64 provided not a new plastic, but a dying technique they have implemented on Retro, Zero and Gold plastics called Burst. These burst disc are absolutely amazing. It’s been used on all trilogy discs now and they are slowly but surely adding them into the mix.
I was expecting when it was first released that it would replace the Prime plastic, but instead it’s basically a $1.00 increase to the plastics listed above giving a dyed flare. An average dyed disc on a normal plastic is nowhere near a dollar increase, but more of a $3.00 increase on an average disc from other manufactures. It’s never perfect and since they sell the discs on their website without providing pictures of each disc, if you don’t buy them from here, you have no idea what’ you’re actually getting.
While I have rarely seen a Burst disc live up to my expectations there are some occasional iffy ones we don’t fully classify as Burst. In this scenario we price them as a normal disc and just eat the cost as would rather have the customer be happy than sad on a disc they bought not living up the expectations. Due note, these are very rare cases; I would say 1 out of 100 discs we get from the company we place in the “sale” category for us. 1% error rate is fine with us for the quality product they produce for us Disc Golfers.
We also have noticed the Fuzion, Tournament, and Gold plastic, which is the premium plastic for the 3 companies seem to have more and more discs that are “Burst like” but are not labeled as such. Unsure if they are weeding out discs just like we do or if it’s just going to be the new thing to do while in production were unsure. I’m not complaining nor have I seen customers complain as this is a $1.00 increase most of the time.
Latitude 64 PLASTICS
These are the plastics Latitude 64 currently offers and let it be known, not all models are made in all plastics. Discs such as Dagger or Pure are however made in almost every kind.
- Retro - This is their cheapest base plastic that has a very buyer friendly price point. It’s durable and grippy and the quality compared to price is worth every penny. These are great choice for putters and are perfect for practice.
- Zero Soft - Using the same plastic, just a higher quality premium base gives a gummier and softer feel. It’s not as durable, but is meant for Putters not just allowing yourself more grip, but to grip chains while sinking those important putts.
- Zero Medium - Again, same higher quality premium base plastic, but not as soft and gummy. It’s still soft, but not as hard comparing to the Prime plastic. Same concept, used for putters to grip the chains. Disc Golfers occasionally like the plastic feel better with the blend.
- Zero Hard - Considered a “hard plastic” is the base premium plastic that feel more like prime. The difference is higher quality giving more durability and additional grip.
- Opto - Ah the most durable plastics on the market. It’s reminded of the Innova plastic, Champion. It can take a beating like no other and also usually flies overstable and normally is a translucent disc having the ability to see-through.
- Opto Air - Same plastic as above, Opto Air is just lighter weight. They utilize air bubbles in the plastic which does not change the flight of the discs, just provide an easier throwing capability; especially for beginners with less powerful arms.
- Moonshine - This plastic is basically Lucid, but with the ability to glow in the dark. Disc Golf needs to be played 24/7, not just when there is daylight. Make sure your city allows night Disc Golf before you go out and play.
- Hybrid – OOP - Sadly Latitude 64 has made the executive decision to no longer make the Hybrid plastic. This was an even stronger plastic than Opto, but many thought the flight of the discs were being affected.
- Frost Line - A very gummy like disc that’s a variation of the Gold plastic and Recycled. It can handle cold weather better than other discs and is usually understable from the numbers provided.
- Recycled - Plastic which is recycled from leftover byproducts from Premium and durable plastics to instead of throwing away, they make another disc. Eco-Friendly!
- Gold Line - Cream of the crop, durability, grip and smoothest glide out of any plastic. It is produced with the highest quality plastic out of all and the discs truly appreciate it.
Every plastic has their uses and is made differently for actual reasons to provide Disc Golfers a better chance to lower their scores. Be sure to fully educate yourself before buying a disc to allow a greater change you win against your friends or the next tournament you join.
The Company sells Bags, but at Disc Golf Shopping we only carry a few of the baskets such as the popular Luxury L3 Backpack. It has a unique designs that provide the Disc Golfer style and comfort everyone strives to acquire. Another popular and unique Backpack Latitude 64 provides is the Easy-Go Backpack. This design provides you the ability to no longer search for the disc you are looking for. It allows the discs to show the tops on the outside allowing for extremely easy access. They have also just recently launched a more economical backpack trying to compete with all the others out there going at lower price points with the Core Backpack.